As cynical as I may sound sometimes, I’m actually a big fan of New Year’s resolutions. And I sometimes manage to keep some. Here are mine for 2016:
- Get fiction published, mainstream. This one may actually be easy: I managed to win Honorable Mention in a contest last year, and as I type this I have 3 stories shortlisted for 2 anthologies. So expect this one to be fulfilled. See Unsettled Space for more, at some point.
- Take my fiction to the next level. Years of technical writing have led to it being dry and heavy on laborious exposition. I need to lighten up, abstract the hell out of things. Get more fluid. I’m blown away by stories that *seem* to have no exposition at all. That’s my goal.
- Finish a novel. In 2015 my focus was on short stories, a weak area for me for decades. I’m pretty satisfied where I am now with sub-3000 and even sub-1500 word work. Now to wrap up something 50,000 words or greater. Look for “Dreams of Lesser Tides” to hit bookshelves this year (okay, that part is a stretch goal).
- Finish my first music album. This has been too long in the making. Gotta get something out…
- Perform music live in public for the first time ever. :O
- Start bicycling regularly. That was a 2015 goal but my bike is still not finished and poor health interfered just too many times.
- Run more. See above, sort of.
- Lose another 15 pounds. Ultimate goal: 155. I currently stand at 172, down from a high of 192. Lowest was 163 right before 2015 Christmas holidays (grrr…).
- Travel more. I want to visit the Texas coast, New Mexico, San Diego and Finland this year. Who’s with me?
- Spend more time uplifting people, MUCH less time harping on politicians.
- GET DIVORCED. This &*(^$! has been killing me for two years. I have GOT to get this done. I’ll be nice and not go into the hurdles here.
- Quit bitching about being single. I still don’t like it, I still wish I had female companionship, but I have to accept it ain’t happening and quit inflicting my misery on anyone else. I’m not even remotely happy, but I promise to do a better job pretending.
Did I miss anything? Feel free to suggest more. I’m easy.